After years and years of eating pasta, my body has decided that it no longer enjoys it very much. Previously, I would eat it at least four times a week. Now, I’m lucky if I have it once a month. I’ve been experimenting with incorporating new grains into my diet, and quinoa has come out on top so far. My stomach feels so much better when I eat it compared to pasta.
I decided to experiment with a new quinoa dish this past weekend. I’ve been craving berries lately (I think the near 60 degree temps in Maryland that Mother Nature has been teasing me with might have something to do with it). When I saw a huge container of blueberries on sale at my local grocery store, I knew it was meant to be. Since quinoa has a mild taste, I thought it would be great to pair it with the intense flavor of blueberries, strawberries, and kiwi. Plus, I knew the colors would be pretty and vibrant. You eat with your eyes first, right?
I also wanted to add a bit of crunch, so I decided that chopped toasted pecans might do the trick. It turned out so good! You could easily substitute the pecans with walnuts or sliced almonds, or omit them all together if you have a nut allergy. Sunflower seeds would also be great! This dish is a great source of protein, vitamin C, and antioxidants!
Here’s the easy recipe!
- 1 cup of quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans (optional)
- 1 pint of strawberries
- 2 pints of blueberries
- 5 kiwi fruit
- 1 lime
- 1 lemon
- 1 pinch of salt
- Rinse quinoa and cook according to package directions. Transfer quinoa to a bowl and cool in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Wash blueberries and strawberries. Slice strawberries and kiwi into bite sized pieces.
- Toast and chop pecans, if necessary (I bought mine already toasted and chopped).
- Add blueberries, strawberries, kiwi, and pecans to the quinoa.
- Add the juice of one lemon and one lime to the quinoa, fruit, and pecans. Add a pinch of salt to taste.
- Gently mix all ingredients together. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
You will also love: